Read our in-depth review of the famous watch book Chasing Time by Alistair Gibbons
If you are a watch lover, you must always be on the lookout for learning more about watches. The world of high-end horology is fascinating and one cannot get enough of it if one has a real passion for it. In our opinion, one of the best ways to educate yourself about a particular topic is to go the conventional way and pick a book related to that topic.
You will find multiple books on wristwatches. Today we present to you a thorough review of one of our favorite books titled ‘Chasing Time: Vintage Wristwatches for the Discerning Collector’. It is authored by Alistair Gibbons. The book has garnered positive reviews from readers. Let us take a deeper look into what the book entails.
First Impression of The Book
- Chasing Time comes in a hardcover edition. Its dimensions are 21 x 2.4 x 24.1 cm. The book’s dimensions make it easily portable. You can carry it on the subway, take it to the office or to your parent’s home if you are away for holidays.
There is a sense of uniformity to the text and pictures in the book. The watches are described in alphabetical order which makes it convenient for the reader to locate a particular watch while looking for one.
What Does The Book Revolve Around?
The book explores the history of mechanical watches and how they evolved between 1930 and 1980. The book explores the following brands of watches, to name a few:
Chasing Time also covers some brands of the 60s, 70s, and 80s which have become somewhat obsolete and unknown now. These brands include:
- Arsa (now known as Auguste Reymon)
Gibbons shares his personal experience of multiple watches belonging to the above-mentioned brands. He has worked as a watch collector/dealer and has the first-hand experience with multiple watches. Hence whatever details he shares about these luxury watches are accurate and factually correct.
- The graphics of the book are stunning. High-quality, full-color pictures are printed with thorough details of the watch parts. The pictures are labeled and an explanation of each part is provided in detail.
For Whom Is This Book Suitable For?
After reading this book from cover to cover, we conclude that this book will satiate the appetite of every watch aficionado. We recommend this book for all levels of book lovers i.e. whether you are a beginner or a pro, you will benefit from a dose of Chasing Time: Vintage Wristwatches for the Discerning.
- If you are a beginner and don’t know a lot about the world of high-end horology, then put your apprehensions aside and pick up this book. This book is neither too complicated nor too technical that you won’t be able to digest it. At the same time, if you are a veteran, this book will offer you a lot more than just A class photography and graphics.
If you are not too much invested in luxury watches and appreciate them from a distance, we bet that the gorgeous graphics in this book will invoke your interest. Anyone who takes interest in the complicated engineering mechanisms of these watches can also benefit greatly from this book.
About Alistor Gibbons
- The author Alistor Gibbons has served in the movie industry as a special effects editor. He developed an affection for mechanical watches in the 1990s. In the 1990s he started his own website ATGVintageWatches, where he displays his watch collection in full glory.
This information has been brought to you by Lido Watch Club. They deal in the sale and purchase of preowned luxury watches.